Today I helped a homeless man

I was outside a little Tesco near where I live today and there was a man sheltering in a doorway who asked for some spare money. I know it's illegal for people to beg but for some reason I really felt for this guy. He was probably ten years older than me at the most and when I actually looked at him he was shaking an awful lot.

I don't really agree with giving homeless people money, I'd much rather give them some food or a drink and so I told him I'd rather buy him some food. He seemed very grateful and told me he didn't like fish.

I managed to find a couple of sandwiches (that weren't fish) inside that had been reduced as they had that days date on so I picked up two (I have no idea when the poor guy last ate) and then thought I should probably get him a drink too as staying hydrated is so important. I also remembered I had a banana in my bag that I hadn't eaten at work so gave him this too.

The smile on his face when he saw what I had got him made me want to cry. So little effort from me can make such a big difference to this guy who obviously has very little this Christmas.

Times like this just remind me just how lucky I really am. Even when I'm complaining that I'm skint I need to remind myself that I have a house, enough money to live, I can afford to eat and that times for me really aren't that tough. I want to try and do more to help in my community especially for people that are in times of need.

It is my aim to seek out a charity or some organisation that I can help in the future when I return to Hull for the New Year. After all, I never know when I might need help myself from that charity myself.

Comments