G for Growing up

I don't know what it is these days about children wanting to be adults way before their time..but I don't like it. I know it makes me sound old by saying it but I don't care. Yes I'm twenty and I refuse to grow up but that is beside the point! 
It really upsets me that people want to grow up so quickly, I'd love to be a kid again and not have a worry in the world. I feel that technology probably has played a big role in this. People just do not know how to communicate any more. 
Binge drinking and under age drinking is also a big problem in this country. Younger and younger people are turning to drink as a cure to forget about things that get them down. When the drink doesn't do the job any more they turn to something stronger and this worries me a lot. 
I don't want my children (not that I plan on having any for a long time) to grow up in this kind of world. I want them to read books and play games in the mud in the garden using their imagination. I don't want them to sit in front of a television from morning to night and be exposed to the horror that is out there. 
Growing up means responsibility and reliability. It means doing your own washing, paying your own way and defending yourself and I just do not get why children so young are striving for this so young! 

Comments

  1. Hannah, I so agree with you. Children are growing up earlier and earlier, and it is so sad. It's especially sad seeing very small girls from kindergarten up wearing sexy clothing styled after celebrities. They should be playing in the sand. Maybe they will again one day.

    Mary Montague Sikes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's scary how quickly it's happening too. I don't think I grew up so quickly and I'm only twenty now and I'm concerned about people half my age. Hate to think how much worse it could get by the time I have children! I would love it if things regressed and children were children again.

      Delete
  2. Hannah -- What a thoughtful commentary. I really enjoyed visiting your blog. (Found you through the A to Z Challenge.)

    Geri
    http://www.gerijeter.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment