M - Meeting New People

If you read my post on day 1 about anxiety you'll probably not be surprised to know that meeting new people can totally freak me out. Not so much if I'm in an environment I'm comfortable in, or with other people I know but there are certain situations that just freak me out a little!

I had a conversation about this with some of the people I live with and I'm know I'm not the only one, but I do get the impression that it affects me a lot more than others. It's definitely more social situations that scare me as I never know how people are going to greet me. This may seem a bit strange to some people but the whole, hand shake, hug, kiss on the cheek, wave situation just makes me really nervous.

This isn't so much with people my age, meeting people a similar age to me this isn't really an issue..at least I don't think I've met anyone my age who has shaken my hand when meeting me in a social situation...

I find greeting people very uncomfortable especially when it's the first time. What if I go for a hug and they go for a hand shake? I just hate it and trying to guess what combination is going to occur makes me really nervous and probably more clumsy than I mean to be!

Tell me I'm not the only one?!

Comments

  1. No, you're not the only one... I've heard horror stories of people who've accidently kissed their new boss because they panicked! Is this a downside to multiculturalism? ;) Back in the olden days, British people shook hands, asked, "How do you do?" and everyone knew the rules...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment