What two years into my degree has taught me

I'm very close to the end of my second year of uni now and I've learnt a lot. I've learnt that I hate revising, I'm not good at it and exams scare me. I've learnt how to take care of myself and how when I don't do things no one else will and they just don't get done. I've learnt that biology is a hell of a lot more complex than I thought possible and most importantly I've learnt.. I've done the wrong degree!

Although it may seem totally ridiculous and over the top two years studying for my degree has made me realise that the jobs people go into after this are just not for me. I know I've not done these jobs but I just can't see myself in any of them at this stage in my life. 

Despite this realisation and the fact it could have thrown me and made me totally unmotivated to do well, I'm totally okay with it. Yes I could have done another degree that lead me to a career choice that I was sure on but I didn't and despite not wanting to work in the field I still have a lot of interest in what I am learning.

At the grand of age of twenty I feel that it's okay to not be entirely sure what I want to do. My mum even said to me she things people of my generation won't have a career quite like she has. I'm okay with that too, I'm happy to have as many jobs as it takes to find something I am truly passionate about but for now, I'm just going to enjoy not knowing what's going to happen and try to enjoy studying for my exams.

Comments