Being fat from a fat person's perspective

I see a lot of people aiming to be a certain way for the summer months, putting themselves through ridiculous workouts and not eating properly to look a way that is expected by society.
I understand that many people don't want to be carrying extra weight and that's fine..but don't starve yourself to achieve this. Your body needs food to run and it needs a balanced diet. Yes that means you DO need to eat fats too.
I'm sick of being viewed by people as less of a person because of my size. Social media has made me realise even more so just how disgusting some people are towards fat people.
I know that my size is my own fault and I know I am the only person that can change it but it's a vicious cycle. I lose weight, I start feeling better about myself and then for one reason or another it goes back on. I'm a yo-yo dieter and for now being a student I know that is not going to change. The constant pressures of exams and performing to the best of my ability makes me ill. I'm ill partly because of what I eat and I know that, I don't deny it's my own fault but I just find dieting and exam stress too much to deal with all at the same time.
Last summer I lost over a stone and a half literally just because I was working every day and didn't have a lot of time to eat properly. That is not how I want to lose weight though..as soon as I started eating properly the weight went back on.
I'd love to make people more aware of how difficult weight loss is. I've created habits for myself that are bad and have got me to this size but it takes a lot more time to break habits than make them. Yes I'm fat but that doesn't make me any less of a human being.

Comments

  1. Hannah i've met you 3 times and never once did i stop and think 'fucking hell she's fat'. I'm no string bean and electric hips but i'm pretty sure you didn't think any less of me for my size either. I know the prejudice around people of a larger size, some of us are like this naturally, others it's from a life of eating the wrong things. Bottom line is, it's our choice and we shouldn't be pressured into conforming to society. I think you're beautiful and you're definitely not fat, you're curvy end of.

    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ Could not have put it better myself. What she said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post, I think you're stunning in all honesty and I completely agree with what you're saying about size. I wrote this post about size ages ago > http://bit.ly/1o1pxqh - but your post has prompted me to do a new one because I feel there's so much more to be said on body image!

    Courtney x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am going to do a series on body image soon I think! x

      Delete
  4. size is just a number, i struggled with my weight for the past 2 years, and i am currently dieting, and to be honest it is so horrible at times especially when i go to the gym and the girls there are stick thin and walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes... totally not fair! i went through the vicious cycle of yey I've lsot weight... and then treated myself with a takeaway, then got depressed when i put on weight so comforted myself with a takeaway, it is horrible how the industry says we have to look a certain way, and i admit ive been sucked into it, but don't ever let someone put you down because of your weight,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to hear from other people that understand what I'm going through! You've done so well with you weight loss..well done!

      Delete

Post a Comment