Life - Finding work isn't all that easy

Life after university is mean to be full of jobs that are in your dreams, the perfect car and a mansion...right? Wrong.

For me, life after university included an amazing holiday and a lot of stress. Naturally I am a someone who feels stress maybe more so than others. I worry too much, it's a trait I don't like about myself but it's not something that can't easily be changed. 

Stress involved getting a house - that's all sorted now thankfully, but along side that was the stress and pressure of finding a job. Without a job, I couldn't afford the rent on the house we had, the bills, food, etc etc. 

Some people think finding a job is easy. I've heard people say things about 'All these people complaining about there being no jobs' and 'It's not that hard'. Well actually, although there are jobs around and there always will be it doesn't mean nailing down a job will be easy, because it's really not. Some people seem to just walk straight into jobs, that's not me. 

I've not actually kept a record of the number of jobs I've applied for...but I know it's a lot. I'd say we are looking way over the 200 mark. I'm not even really being fussy with what I've applied for... I've not limited myself to stuff related to my degree because I know that massively reduces my chances! To be honest, I'm happy with any job that I feel I wouldn't hate with a passion - so that definitely helps my chances.

I've had a huge number of rejections and even more people not contact me at all in regards to my applications. It's depressing and makes you wonder at times why you're bothering - not the best frame of mind to be applying for jobs in. 

When you look at the number of people who are unemployed it really puts it all into perspective. The amount of people that could apply for one job is crazy...

Comments