Body image series - The always advert

As a student I don't tend to watch a lot of telly unless it's on the internet, on catch up, normally at about three o clock in the morning when I should be sleeping but I'm making better use of the time! However I do watch a hell of a lot of youtube videos. Normally I'll skip an advert as soon as it comes on but this one caught my eye.

'Can you show me what it looks like to run like a girl?'

Women and men who have gone through puberty and then girls and boys who have not are asked the same question. Although the whole thing is probably done by actresses and actors it really stresses a point. The older people mock what they are asked to do.. 'Like a girl' is used as a derogatory fashion. The younger children however don't hear the 'like a girl' as a bad thing and just do what they are asked.

Since when has being compared to a woman become a bad thing? Without women no-one would be on this earth. No wonder sexism is still a massive problem and being a girl is often portrayed as a negative.

Personally I'd hate to be a guy..not that I have a choice in the matter or that I can change the fact I'm female but I've very much proud of being a female.

Comments