Jewellery - A family history

I was contacted by Ryan from Invaluable, an auction site that sells jewellery and more. asking me to share stories behind some of the pieces of jewellery I own. At first I thought I didn't actually have any jewellery that had a story to tell but when I got thinking about it I realised that actually over a few years I have had a few pieces.

Firstly there is a necklace that I inherited from my great grandma (I think). It's not something I wear and I'm not entirely sure where she got it from or the story behind it. It lives at my parents house though as I don't want it sitting on the side at my house - it's displayed instead there. Because of that I don't have a picture but it's just a pretty gold piece that has blue and clear stones in. I used to wear it a bit when I was younger but recently I've not.


The next piece is something more recent. I got it for my 21st from my grandparents. It's a beautiful white gold with a sapphire (my birth stone) and tiny clear stones around the band. I chose it myself and wear it every single day.

I also have two more rings. Neither of these jumped out at me when I thought family history and jewellery but after having a second thing I realised that I had two rings passed to me. One is a beautiful array of stones and colours and I love. It's such a shame the band has snapped. I want to one day take it to be fixed as I think it's a shame for something so beautiful to never be worn. This again came from grandparents however I have no idea who had it before my grandma or if it's special to the family in any way.


The last piece is a mother of pearl ring. My grandma again gave me this and if I remember correctly it was made from a tie clip that was mother of pearl that belonged to her dad or grandad. The tie clip was passed to her and she got it made into a ring (I can't remember if it was specifically for me or not now as it was a long time ago!). I don't actually wear this ring at the moment as it's a little too small for my chunky fingers - and a little too big for my little finger!

Comments