Working all the hours under the sun

When I started my new job I was excited. I was looking forward to a change but also a stable income. I knew there was the chance for overtime and that overtime paid well so always planned on doing a little just to 'top up' my wage in a way.

However, after leaving my second job I was excited for the idea of weekends free and bank holidays off. I looked forward to having a proper pattern and a routine. What I didn't realise was that although I live in an area where it's cheap to live, housing is affordable etc...I'd be working pretty much all the extra hours I possibly could.

It's rubbish to live in a world where my monthly take home covers just about what I need it to with a little left. I know I'm fortunate to have anything left as some don't. But...for me to be able to give myself much chance and set myself up for life in general it means having to work all the hours I possibly can. I know things are likely to change in the future once my house is all set up and how I want it but even then I'll need to continue to save in order to hopefully move somewhere bigger and better in the future.

It is difficult to explain to people who tell me I need a break or that I'm running myself into the ground why I'm doing what I do and that I'm okay. I guess it's different for a lot of people as they have more than one wage coming into a household. All that this does is makes me want to work more and harder to get myself into a better position.

Comments