'Coming out'

I was listening to the radio this morning when taking my brother to school and they were talking about a footballer who had 'come out'. I'm not sure who the said footballer was but he did say that he hoped in the future is wouldn't be such a bit deal and it'd be easier for other footballers to do the same.
I've never really thought about it before but I realised that the whole idea of 'coming out' is ridiculous. Why should someone declare their sexuality to the world? I've never had to do that as a heterosexual person so why should someone just because they are homosexual or bisexual? And anyway it's no-one's business except theirs and whoever they decide to have relations with. 
I'm upset to still live in a world where a footballer thinks he cannot 'come out' because he would be emasculated by this or that people would treat him differently.
The other day on Celebrity Big Brother (Yes, I am THAT sad..) a boxer compared being homosexual to having a handicap and said something along the lines of if you were born with a disability you'd get it fixed, and although I get that that is his opinion I was totally shocked someone could be so hurtful. Being homosexual is NOT a handicap, it's not wrong and I don't like that people have such firm beliefs in right or wrong things to do. Ironically the same man mentioned he had two kids the same age to two different people but has a strong faith in God. Not quite sure how he can think that is right but homosexuality is not? According to Wikipedia (so don't quote me on this) he has eleven children to six different women..  

Comments