Body Image Series - What is wrong with society?

There's a LOT of things wrong with society but there's one thing that's been brought to my attention more and more and it's not something I can ignore anymore.

The youth of today are making me feel more old before my time by the day. All you have to do is turn on the telly or watch a group of young people for a while.

Sexualisation.

We live in a world where it seems the way to sell anything is sex. Perfume adverts - sell by sex, cars - sell by sex, even spot cream is advertised to make you look good in a sexualised way.



There's no doubt about it..sex sells, otherwise why are so many companies using it as a way to promote their products? But has anyone asked why sex sells and how this is influencing the way people live their day to day lives?

People shy away from a mother feeding her baby in the street because her boob is on show or because it makes them uncomfortable..I too feel a little uncomfortable by this. It's the way society has made me and it upsets me that is has that affect on me. A boob is made for a baby to feed from despite the fact that most people just think of boobs as something sexual.



The clothes that people wear.. I have nothing against people wearing whatever they want, hell wear a curtain for all I care! The way people 'think' they should dress though too has a sexual stigma. If I wanna wear a low cut top who the hell are you to tell me it's inappropriate?! Inappropriate is the fact you saw it as sexual, to me it's just a top.

Girls are a victim of having to abide by a dress code (I know I did at sixth form). I wasn't allowed to show my shoulders - Now I'm sorry but since when was showing a shoulder a problem?! Next people won't be able to even show their neck.

We no longer live in a society where women are expected to completely cover themselves from neck to floor and I'm glad about this. I don't see why I should have to because I make other people feel uncomfortable, it's society that needs to change not me.

People wonder why teenage pregnancy is a big problem and that people are having sex at such a young age..If it's all they are seeing around them and are exposed to this at such a young age how can we expect them to know any better?

Comments

  1. My sister breast fed her baby after having a baby at 18. When her friend visited, my sis had to feed my niece, but put a blanket over her boobs. My boyfriend was in the room and wasn't bothered. Her friend went and told other people that my sis was disgusting for doing it! Bare in mind her friend regularly posts photos to facebook with her cleavage hanging out all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me so angry when people are like that when boobs are to feed a baby! Some people just don't seem to understand that! x

      Delete

Post a Comment